It’s August, the month I love and hate.
I love it because it’s my birthday month and I hate it because it usually marks the end of summer.
For that reason this week has been a true struggle.
So here’s a list of 10 things that got me through this week and maybe will help you too:
1. Buying a ticket to An Evening with James Lapine & Stephen Sondheim only because Christine Baranski was the moderator– listen my appreciation for that woman is REAL and I feel no shame.
2. Cooking instead of ordering take-out – maybe it is because I’m the daughter of a chef, but being in the kitchen centers me. Also I love take-out, however in DC it is OVERPRICED (as are most things in this city).
3. Washing dishes while listening to true crime podcasts -I love a good true crime podcasts. Recommendations are welcomed.
4. Dancing it out (channeling earlier Grey’s Anatomy vibes)- mostly to 00’s Janet Jackson music
5. Putting music on the record player again – too often I forget how this uplifts me with such pretentious joy.
6. Going for a walk everyday- even if it was to the grocery store or just to get an iced coffee. I hate advice like this sometimes, but it really does make a difference when you’re able to talk yourself into going for a walk.
7. Inspiration from Newsletters- Josh Spector is always offering great advice in his newsletters. One of the latest thing he suggested was a take on how to write fill-in-the-blank-headlines. I’ve clearly taken note: check it out here.
8. Interacting with writers on Twitter reassuring me I’m just at the eeek part of my 30s and it does get better
9. Mindless, interesting, quick fun way to see how you differ from the “average” person (from Josh Spector Newsletter)- link here
10. Sipping tea remembering that despite birthday depression (it’s a thing..I read it on twitter…), I’d rather not be anything but a Leo sun:
What is one thing or a few that have uplifted your spirits this summer?